Filial Church Of St Wenceslas

  • Interior - Filial Church Of St Wenceslas - Ostrava

  • Exterior - Filial Church Of St Wenceslas - Ostrava

Moravian-silesian Region > Ostrava

Categories: Churches

An important role in the life of the city and its surrounding villages has always been played by sacred buildings – places of faith, hope and humility. The Gothic church of St Wenceslas, built on Romanesque foundations, is the oldest surviving building in Ostrava. However, evidence shows that a church was present on the site before the actual foundation of the original settlement. The church was the only stone building in the Slavic village, forming both its geographical centre and the heart of its cultural life.

Today, nothing remains of the square-plan presbytery and triple nave of the original church, which was demolished in the early 14th century. Today’s structure was evidently built during the reign of John of Luxembourg (1310–1346). The appearance of the original church has changed greatly over the centuries as a result of several reconstructions. Today, the interior is beautifully decorated with heraldic motifs.

www.ostrava.cz

Virtual tours