Frantisek Posepny Geological Pavilion

  • First floor - Frantisek Posepny Geological Pavilion - Ostrava

  • Second Floor - Frantisek Posepny Geological Pavilion - Ostrava

  • Ground floor - Frantisek Posepny Geological Pavilion - Ostrava

Moravian-silesian Region > Ostrava

The František Pošepný Geological Pavilion is owned by the Faculty of Geology and Mining of the VŠB–Technical University of Ostrava, and is situated on the university’s Poruba campus.

The Pavilion was opened in 1989 and bears the name of Professor František Pošepný, who is considered one of the founders of mineral deposit geology and was the author of the world’s first textbook on the subject, published in New York in 1893 and entitled The Genesis of Ore Deposits. The history of the collections dates back to 1849 and is closely bound up with the foundation of the Mining Academy in Přibram. The geological collections were moved to Ostrava in 1945, as was the VŠB-Technical University. The geological pavilion contains collections of minerals, rocks and fossils, with currently around 15,000 exhibits on public display and 55,000 in storage. The collections are used for study purposes by university students, secondary and primary school pupils, and are also accessible to the general public.

www.ostrava.cz

Virtual tours