Jiri Myron Theatre

  • Foyer - Jiri Myron Theatre - Ostrava

  • Hall - Jiri Myron Theatre - Ostrava

Moravian-silesian Region > Ostrava

Categories: Theatre

The former Czech Cultural Centre, an Art Nouveau building also displaying pastiche elements of the neo-Renaissance and neo-Baroque, was built in 1891-1894 to a design by Josef Srb, and has always played a central role in Ostrava’s cultural and social life. The gala premiere was held on 16 June 1894 with an amateur production of Stroupežnický’s play The Mintmaster’s Wife. Since 1945 the building has been in constant theatrical use, first as the People’s Theatre and from 1954 as the Jiří Myron Theatre. It is the second main company of the National Theatre of Moravia-Silesia, and performs operetta, musicals, drama and ballet.

www.ndm.cz

Virtual tours