Categories: Town Hall
For over 100 years it had been acknowledged that Ostrava needed a new city hall, but it was not until 1912 that concrete plans were put on the table. The project was halted by the outbreak of the First World War, and the winning design was finally chosen in 1924: a four-storey building with three-storey wings and a reinforced concrete tower with pastiche historical motifs and a clock.
The original project underwent many modifications, and the tower was eventually constructed of copper-clad steel featuring long glazed bands. Above the main entrance, supported by six pillars, is a terrace with pillars bearing bronze statues symbolizing coal mining, iron and steel, learning, and trade. The foyer of the New City Hall is beautifully clad in marble. Ever since its completion in 1930, the building has remained the largest city hall in the Czech Republic, with the highest observation tower in the country (85.6 metres). In clear weather, the tower offers beautiful views across the city, to the Beskydy and Jeseníky mountains, and into nearby Poland.