Categories: Train Stations
The railway station in Svinov was built in 1847 on the important Vienna–Krakow line owned by the Northern Ferdinand Railway. To this day it remains a key transport hub, and is the busiest passenger railway station in the city of Ostrava.
The historic station building, dating from 1845, is a typical example of Austro-Hungarian railway architecture, and is listed as a protected cultural heritage site. In the 1870s a symmetrical extension was built, and in 1895 an upper floor was added. Renovation work was completed in 2006, and an extension was built as part of a wide-ranging reconstruction of the entire station area and forecourt. The dominant architectural features of the new building are its slim pillars and the frameless glazed structure encasing the vestibule. The forecourt area now has two interconnected pools with fountains.