Privoz Urban Heritage Zone

First documented as a village in 1377, the district of Přívoz began to assume its present shape in connection with the development of Ostrava’s main railway station in the second half of the 19th century. The district was built according to a general plan by the architect Camillo Sitte, who also designed a number of buildings himself, including the church and the town hall. The plan was based around large, fully enclosed blocks of buildings lining the main road to and from the railway station, with a large rectangular square in the central section dominated by the parish church with its distinctive silhouette of two towers. Construction itself took place during a very short space of time at the turn of the 20th century, and made use of both Art Nouveau and pastiche historical motifs. In 1900 Přívoz was raised to the status of a town, and in 1924 it was incorporated into Moravian Ostrava as a city district. In terms of urban architecture and town planning, Přívoz remains one of the most important districts of Ostrava.

www.ostrava.cz

World Map Aerial Panoramas
Restaurants Hotels Trips Entertainment Companies