Palazzo Comunale

The Town Hall, also known as the Gothic, was built in 1281 at the behest of Albert Scotus, Guelph regent of the city. According to the original project the building should have been built on a square base, but the work was left unfinished by the outbreak of a severe plague. Because of the economic depression caused by the plague the project was stopped and only the north side was realized. Great example of civil architecture of those times, it recalls the style of the Lombard broletto with the central tower that holds the bell and two side towers. The long side has five pointed arches, decorated in pink marble and with patterned brickwork. The lounge at first floor is decorated with pictorial representations, and is used for conferences or special events such as exhibitions.

World Map Aerial Panoramas
Restaurants Hotels Trips Entertainment Companies