The Silesian Ostrava Castle (earlier known as the Polish Ostrava Castle) was built on the site of an ancient Slavic fortress to guard the trading route leading from Opava via Hlučín and Těšín to Krakow. The first written document of the castle, which has stood at the confluence of the Lučina and Ostravice rivers since the 1280s, dates from 1297.
The only part of the original castle to have survived is one of the keeps, and the remains of the entrance building show traces of the Baroque style. The castle is one of the oldest historical sights in Ostrava, and is now a popular venue for weekend entertainment and other events. Fencing and jousting competitions, accompanied by historical music and period-themed fairs, conjure up the atmosphere of times gone by.