The square is named after Monsignor Jan Šrámek (1870 – 1956), a Roman Catholic priest and politician who founded the Union of the Czechoslovak Eagle and the Czechoslovak People’s Party. Šrámek was a government minister between the two world wars, chairman of the wartime Czech government-in-exile in London, and Deputy Prime Minister from 1945 to 1948.
The square, bordering on Čs. legií Street, is dominated by the Neo-Renaissance Cathedral of the Divine Saviour. The cathedral is the main temple of the diocese of Ostrava and Opava, contains the Bishop’s throne (cathedra), and is involved in all of the most important aspects of the life of the diocese. Opposite the cathedral is the Jiří Myron Theatre, with much of the square in between taken up by parking spaces.