Usti Nad Labem Region Roudnice Nad Labem Church of Virgin Mary's Birth Roudnice nad Labem

The Church of the Nativity of the Virgin. The Church of the Nativity of the Virgin , originally a minster, is a typical structure of the noble Bohemian Gothic of the first half of the 14th century. In a plan it is a tree aisled basilica with a brigtlz-lit presbytery.The sacristy is an adaptation of the original Romanesque chapel built on the site by Bishop Tobiáš of Bechyně.The stucture suffered damage during the Hussite wars and in the numerous fires thet swept trough the town, fell into disrwpir and was only provisional reconstructio in 1725-1734.The Litoměřice architect Octavio Broggio imprinted the church with a new appearance in the new Baroque Gothic style , in which he censitively joined the original Gothic forms to new Baroque approaches.The vault above the nave was lower, and the facade was fundamentally altered by the additon of a pair of towers.Of the interior decoration, particular attention should be paid to tho copy of the votive painting of Jan Očko z Vlašimi, a copy of the painting of the “Roudnice Madona” and the 14th century altar with its two wings.