Basilica di Santa Chiara

Site of San Giorgio, which had associations with St Francis: late 12th century St Francis attended school here; 1226-30 his relics were housed here; in 1228 he was canonised here. In 1253 the body of St.Clare was brought here from San Damiano; nuns of San Damiano established a new nunnery here soon after. In 1260-5 the present church was built to house relics of St Clare; design based on Upper Church of San Francesco. In 1850 the relics of St Clare were re-discovered under the high altar.

World Map Aerial Panoramas
Restaurants Hotels Trips Entertainment Companies