The Arengario is the most important civil monument of the city and is the symbol of communal autonomy. It was built in the second half of 1200 as the seat of city government and placed in the center of the city as opposed to the cathedral. Its name derives from the Germanic 'hari-hriggs' means army circle, or ring, because during the town assembly all the members would sit in a circle. The building has architectural features typical of the Gothic style in northern Italy, and is characterized by an outdoor balcony used to 'haranguing' the people and flanked by a squared bell tower. It is shaped like a parallelogram 30 meters long 12 meters wide. The area of the porch is made of gneiss rock, while the rest of the building is in brick. The large porch on the ground floor was originally used for the market, while the large hall on the first floor was used for meetings and assemblies. On the south side there is a covered loggia called 'parlera', from which were read the decrees of the Commune. It has undergone a conservative restoration in 1890 by Luca Beltrami, while the tower was rebuilt in 1903.