The church of San Girolamo in Ripetta is the national church of Croats in Rome, and is also known by the names of St. Jerome of the Croatians and St. Jerome of the Illyrians. In the area, overlooking the port of Ripetta, since the fourteenth century had settled a community of refugees who have fled to the Turks and Illyria Slavonia, to which Pope Nicholas V in 1453 granted the establishment of the Congregation of San Girolamo degli Schiavoni, with a hospice, a hospital, and a small church of the eleventh century originally called Santa Marina de Posterula to be entitled to their national saint, St. Jerome. In the following century, Pope Sixtus V, a descendant of a family of Croatian Dalmatia, rebuilt entirely the church (project of Martino Longhi il Vecchio) between 1588 and 1589, providing it with a bell tower and rich furnishings. He also wanted to bring the body of St. Jerome from the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, but failed to follow his purpose. In the nineteenth century was heavily restored by Pope Pius IX. Originally located along the route of Ripetta, is flanked by the church of San Rocco. The demolition of the port as a result of the arrangement of the banks of the river Tevere, and the demolition of the year 1930 following the arrangement of the area around the Mausoleum of Augustus, the Ara Pacis and the erection of the complex, have isolated the two churches, now connected by an elevated walkway.