The Trevi Fountain is the largest and most famous fountain in Rome, and is considered one of the most famous fountains in the world. The eighteenth-century fountain, designed by Nicola Salvi, is a blend of classicism and Baroque lying on one side of Palazzo Poli. The theme of the sculpture is the sea. The scenery is dominated by a shell-shaped chariot, on which lies the large statue of Ocean by Pietro Bracci, flanked by statues in the side niches of the Healthiness and Abundance, by Filippo della Valle, the chariot is pulled by seahorses in turn preceded by newts. The story of the fountain begins at the time of Emperor Augustus, when Agrippa made the water get to the Pantheon and its thermal baths, thanks to the construction of the Virgin Aqueduct. The aqueduct, damaged by the siege of the Goths in 537, remained in use throughout the Middle Ages, and was restored several times even if the original sources were resumed only in 1570 by Pius V, who had placed the fountain on the side opposite to the current one. Pope Urban VIII Barberini (1623 - 1644) ordered the transformation of the square and the fountain to Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini. He planned a major exhibition of water, overturning the fountain to the actual position. But the Pope's death and the trial of the Barberini family lead to stop work. In 1731 Pope Clement XII Corsini announced a competition for the construction of a major exhibition of water that occupied the entire facade of the Palazzo Poli. The competition was won by Nicholas Salvi, and Pope Clement XII in 1735 ushered in the fountain. In 1744 Pope Benedict XIV Lambertini demanded a second inauguration. When Nicholas Salvi died in 1751 the construction continued under the guidance of Giuseppe Panini, who led the work finally completed in 1762, under Pope Clement XIII Rezzonico. At least ten sculptors worked on the yard, from Maini to Bracci, Salvi and Panini. Anyway, at the end, the Trevi Fountain became a fundamental symbol of papal Rome.