Piazza San Carlo

Piazza San Carlo is one of the most important squares of Turin: 168 meters long and 76 wide, the square has an area of ​​12,768 square meters. It took the names of Royal Square, Parade Ground, and then, during the Napoleonic period, Place Napoléon. From 1618 is dedicated to San Carlo Borromeo, the holy Archbishop of Milan who had a particular devotion to the Holy Shroud. In fact, Emanuele Filiberto did bring the Holy Shroud in Turin in 1578 to shorten the pilgrimage that Carlo Borromeo was supposed to lead from Chambery. Rectangular in shape, is connected through the Via Roma to Piazza Castello, the main street of the city center. The current appearance dates back to the seventeenth century, designed by Carlo di Castellamonte, enriched by the intervention of a century after Benedetto Alfieri. In the center stands the equestrian monument to Emanuele Filiberto, by Charles Marochetti 1838, that depicts the Duke in the act of sheathe the sword after the victory of St. Quentin. At the sides of the seventeenth-century building Solaro del Borgo, and on the south side, the baroque twin churches, the Santa Cristina (1639), designed by Castellamonte, and San Carlo, built in 1619 and attributed to various architects including the Castellamonte. The concave facade of the first, was redesigned in 1715 by Filippo Juvarra. The facade of the church of San Carlo is by Caronesi Ferdinando (1836).

World Map Aerial Panoramas
Restaurants Hotels Trips Entertainment Companies