It's a very large castle, whith a military appearance due to the battlements and corner towers along the perimeter. The old residential use is evidenced only by the remains of the original fresco decoration visible in some rooms. It was built between 1354 and 1357 by Cangrande II della Scala, which sought to transfer his court in a safe place. The complex consists of two parts, divided by the imposing thirteenth-century walls. To the left, coming from Via Roma, is the Palace of the Scala family, protected by a narrow courtyard with a double row of walls. At the center is the main tower, called Torre del Mastio, which leads to the bridge Scaliger, which integrates the defensive system of the castle. On the right side there is a large rectangular courtyard, originally intended for the parade, the center stands a fountain shaped like a dog, a symbol of fidelity. Today Castelvecchio houses the Museo Civico of Verona with a picture gallery, a gallery of sculptures and an art library, open to the public. This is one of the most important collections of Italian art. Moreover, in Boggian Room are hosted temporary exibithions in order to show some of Verona's piece of art that are usually kept in the storerooms of the castle.