Funded entirely by private donations and created by the most important artists of that era, the Neo-Renaissance National Theatre has always been an important symbol of the Czech cultural revival. Opened in 1881 with the opera “Libuše” by Bedřich Smetana, the architect Josef Zítek's masterpiece burned down two months later but it was founded again and restored within two years. The stage curtain is the work of Vojtěch Hynais, the ceiling paintings are by František Ženíšek. Today, the theatre is used for ballet and opera performances, as well as drama. The New Stage of the National Theatre was built by architect Karel Prager in the 1970s from Cuban marble plates and glass. It houses Laterna Magica , one of Prague's best-known theatre groups.